Thursday, May 1, 2008

Jackfruit "Carnitas" Tacos

After Andrew introduced me to the amazing Jackfruit Tacos at Pure Luck Restaurant, I was determined to figure out how to make them on my own. Luckily, Patty at Pure Luck was so nice that she gave me some tips to get me on my way.

This is what I came up with and I've been using it pretty regularly. It's pretty handy since they can be made in bulk and it's pretty light on the stomach. It takes about an hour and a half and you'll need a crockpot.

Jackfruit is commonly found in Southeast Asian markets and Indian markets. Make sure you get young Jackfruit in water or brine. If the jackfruit is too ripe or its canned in syrup, it becomes sweet and harder to season.


Ingredients:
Jackfruit, grown or canned in water. (I use Fortuna)
better-Than Bouillion, Vegetable Base
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
Garlic clove, crushed
Soy Sauce
Coca-Cola
Corn Tortillas
Green salsa
Cilantro, chopped


Instructions:
1. In the crockpot, add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of Coca-cola to the 1 can of jackfruit.

2. Now add 1/2 chopped onion, 1 crushed garlic clove.

3. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.

4. Now add 2 tbsp, better-than bouillon, vegetable base and 1/2 cup of soy sauce.

5. Let it simmer for an hour, stir occasionally.

6. Spoon out the jackfruit and put it on some corn tortillas.

7. Top the tacos with some chopped cilantro, some diced onions and some green salsa and squeeze a little lime on top.

8. Enjoy!



No comments: